A common misconception is that dentures are only typical in older people. But that’s inaccurate. Tooth loss can happen at any age and is fairly common in young Americans. Shelby Dental often caters to younger patients who need tooth restoration—you deserve a beautiful smile! Keep reading how dentures can help restore confidence and oral health in younger people.
Dentures for Young People
Dentures are removable appliances for your mouth. Modern technology allows dentists to manufacture dentures virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth. And you probably know more people with dentures than you think.
Tooth loss is often associated with old age, but there are many reasons why younger patients may also experience it. Younger people may experience tooth loss due to:
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Genetic predisposition to tooth loss
- Acid reflux
- Sports injuries
- Auto accidents
Living with missing teeth can have a negative effect on you socially, emotionally, and even professionally. Replacing missing teeth is important for more than just aesthetic reasons; it is also essential for your overall oral health. Keep reading to find out more.
Why is it Important to Replace Missing Teeth?
There are many reasons for replacing missing teeth in younger patients:
- Proper bite: Spaces left by missing teeth can cause the remaining teeth to shift out of alignment and create difficulties with chewing.
- Damage to natural teeth: Missing teeth leave spaces between your natural teeth, which can cause excessive wear on your remaining teeth and cause them to become loose over time.
- Growing jaw: Young people’s dental and facial structures are still developing. Replacing missing teeth with temporary restorations like dentures can be an important step while the jaw and the surrounding teeth reach their full size.
- Good eating habits: Proper nutrition is important for your long-term health. Missing or damaged teeth can make it difficult to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and result in poor nutrition.
Why Choose Dentures?
There are many methods of replacing missing teeth, but dentures are often popular for the following reasons:
- Less expensive than implants
- Suitable for patients with gum and bone loss
- Easy and non-invasive procedure
- Time-efficient way of restoring teeth
There are several different types of dentures available, and you and your dentist can choose the option that best suits you and your particular needs. Available types of dentures include:
- Complete dentures: Complete dentures replace all teeth on the top, bottom, or both jaws. Complete dentures rest directly on the jaw and are a good option for those who have lost all of their teeth on one or both jaws.
- Partial dentures: Partial dentures are used to fill in gaps left by missing teeth. These dentures are supported by metal clasps that attach to the remaining natural teeth. They can also be held in place by precision attachments on neighboring crowns. Partial dentures are a good option for those patients who were able to save some of their natural teeth and are looking to restore the rest of the smile.
Shelby Dental Center in Calera, Alabama is Invested in Your Dental Health
At Shelby Dental, we believe having a smile you can feel great about is essential for your quality of life. Dentures are a cost-effective and timely solution for smile restoration for patients of any age. Contact us to learn more about removable dentures for young people and if they might be right for you!